This practice solely provides online psychotherapy services utilizing a HIPAA secure interactive audio/video platform called Doxy.me to Florida and New Jersey residents only. No Skype! No software to download. You just follow a private link I send to you.
Your privacy is my utmost concern. I have researched various online platforms that I feel will maintain your confidentiality. You may be aware of many therapists that utilize Skype or Facetime. If you are looking for a credible and ethical therapist, I would suggest you look for someone who utilizes a secure online platform and has training in online/distance counseling, which I have. So why is Skype or Facetime not in YOUR best interest?
- Skype is not HIPAA compliant.
- All communication goes through Skype’s servers where the data is stored and can be made available.
- Skype can gather and use information about you.
- Skype does not provide Business Associate Agreements (BAA) which means there is an agreement to protect your information.
- Skype does not have audits or protocols for a breach notification.
- Skype is frequently wiretapped
Doxy.me utilizes WebRTC (Real Time Communication) to deliver video, audio, and chat. So if you are already using Chrome or Firefox than WebRTC is already on your computer, which means you do not need to download new software. Pretty simple! There is also an app to use on a mobile device that many of my clients have used.
- Doxy.me works in Chrome or Mozilla
- No need to create a patient account. Simply use my personalized URL link that I send to you.
- Check in for your appointment to a virtual waiting room. Only I can see when you arrive.
- Doxy.me is HIPAA secure so your privacy is maintained.
- End-to-end encryption and identifying information is never recorded.
- Communication goes from you to me, not through Doxy.me
So how does online counseling differ compared to an office setting? Surprisingly little! The same rules of social graces still apply. If you wouldn’t do it in an office setting, than you wouldn’t do it during an online session either. For instance, you wouldn’t bring dinner to your therapy appointment so conversely you wouldn’t eat during your online session. Therapy whether online or in an office setting needs to be conducted in a room with 4 walls and a closed door.
Evidence is mounting that online counseling is just as effective as in person counseling. In fact, you may even feel more comfortable and relaxed in the comfort of your own home or office.
Click on the link below to see how simple it is to connect using Doxy.me:
Experience the same benefits of professional therapy in the comfort and privacy of your our home.
No waiting rooms or driving to appointments.
Greater flexibility of appointment times.
No chance running into someone you know in a waiting room.
Most appointments can be scheduled into mid-late evening after a busy work schedule.
Continue appointments while away on vacation or extended time away from home.
Call today for your free 15 minute phone consultation
(954) 610 3861
- Maheu, M. M., and McMenamin, J. (2013, March 28). Telepsychiatry: The perils of using Skype. Retrieved from http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blog/telepsychiatry-perils-using-skype
- Practitioner pointer: Does the use of Skype raise HIPAA compliance issues? (2014, April 24). Retrieved from http://www.apapracticecentral.org/update/2014/04-24/skype-hipaa.aspx